Gunfight in Charlotte: Police Confirm Single Shooter in Deadly Standoff

Charlotte, North Carolina – Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officials held a press conference on Friday night to confirm that only one shooter was involved in the April 29 gunfight that resulted in the deaths of four officers and injuries to five others. Deputy Chief Tonya Arrington revealed that after examining thousands of pieces of evidence, including 1,100 video clips, they concluded that there was no case of “blue on blue” gunfire during the chaotic shootout and standoff that lasted for hours.

Arrington provided a detailed timeline of the events that unfolded on that fateful day. It all began when officers from an interdepartmental task force attempted to arrest a man, Terry Clark Hughes Jr., on Galway Drive in east Charlotte. Hughes, 39, was wanted for multiple charges, including possession of a firearm by a felon. When officers surrounded the house where Hughes was located, he opened fire with an AR-15 rifle, engaging in a gun battle that lasted over 17 minutes.

Throughout the exchange of gunfire, Hughes moved between different windows of the house, keeping the officers pinned down with his shots. Despite some reports of multiple shooters due to the gunfire coming from different directions, Arrington clarified that the evidence indicated only one shooter. Hughes eventually leaped from a second-story window and was shot by the officers, succumbing to his injuries in the front yard.

The tragic incident resulted in the deaths of four officers and injuries to four others. It was deemed the worst single day for law enforcement in Charlotte’s history. The officers involved in the confrontation faced a tense standoff that lasted for about two hours, prompting a thorough investigation into the possibility of friendly fire incidents. Arrington highlighted the challenges faced by law enforcement during the emotional aftermath of the shooting, emphasizing the resilience and dedication of the officers as they continue to fulfill their duties.

CMPD Chief Johnny Jennings expressed the ongoing struggle faced by the department in coping with the losses suffered during the violent encounter. Despite the grief and the toll it has taken on the team, law enforcement officers remain committed to their mission. As Charlotte grapples with the aftermath of this tragic event, the community honors the fallen officers and extends their support to those who continue to serve and protect.