Machete-Wielding Convicted Rapist Arrested for Brutal Boston Bridge Attack

Boston, MA – A convicted rapist faced assault charges after attacking a man with a machete under Boston’s Longfellow Bridge last month, authorities revealed on Thursday. The victim, covered in blood with severe head injuries, was discovered on Storrow Drive on the night of May 23, as reported by the Suffolk District Attorney’s Office. Charles Selph, identified as the perpetrator, was apprehended in Boston four days later.

Good Samaritans who stopped to help the injured man played a critical role in providing aid, with one individual capturing cellphone footage that assisted in locating Selph. The victim, who shared details of the attacker with investigators, described the terrifying encounter that led to the violent assault.

District Attorney Kevin Hayden commended the swift arrest following the horrific attack, attributing it to the collective efforts of public assistance, surveillance footage, and thorough investigative work. The incident, reported around 10:15 p.m., prompted a response from state police near Teddy Ebersol’s Red Sox Fields on Storrow Drive.

The 54-year-old victim recounted seeking refuge under the bridge before fleeing onto Storrow Drive to seek help from passing motorists during the attack. The discovery of a machete at the scene, consistent with the attacker’s weapon in both eyewitness video and transit surveillance footage, further linked Selph to the crime.

Prosecutors revealed Selph’s criminal history, which included convictions for rape, sexual assault, assault and battery on law enforcement, failure to register as a sex offender, and additional offenses. Despite serving a nine-month sentence for assault and battery just a year prior, Selph now faces charges related to the machete assault and was remanded into custody on $1,000 bail.

The ongoing legal proceedings have scheduled Selph’s next court appearance for June 21, although it remains unclear whether he has secured legal representation or posted bail. In the interim, the court has ordered him to maintain distance from both the victim and the site of the attack, ensuring community safety amidst the unfolding case.