Police recovered two firearms and searched for suspects after gunfire sent thousands of festivalgoers running for safety.
TORONTO — Two men were killed and four other people were wounded Saturday night when gunfire erupted near a crowded Latin cultural festival in midtown Toronto, prompting a large police response and an ongoing search for those responsible.
Toronto police received reports of a shooting at about 8:12 p.m. near St. Clair Avenue West and Arlington Avenue, where the annual Salsa on St. Clair festival was underway. Officers and paramedics found six people suffering from gunshot wounds. Police later confirmed that two men had died and four other people had been injured.
Deputy Police Chief Frank Barredo said investigators believe the violence involved an exchange of gunfire between two people who were targeting each other. The shooting initially led police to warn of a possible active shooter, but officials later said the evidence did not support that description.
“There was some concern about an active shooter. That turned out not to be the case,” Barredo said during a late-night news conference. He said those involved in the gunfire had placed a large number of bystanders in danger during one of the city’s busiest cultural events.
No arrests had been announced by early Sunday, and police had not released descriptions of any suspects. Investigators recovered two firearms and were examining three connected crime scenes. Authorities had not disclosed a suspected motive or said whether either of the men who died took part in the exchange.
Police estimated that about 13,000 people were attending the festival when the shots were fired. Witnesses described crowds suddenly fleeing restaurants, vendor areas and performance spaces as officers moved into the neighborhood. Some people dropped to the ground or took cover because they did not know where the shots were coming from.
The initial reports brought emergency officers and tactical teams to the area. Police closed streets, pushed crowds away from the investigation and urged the public to avoid the neighborhood. Authorities later said the immediate scene had been secured, though officers remained in the area gathering evidence and speaking with witnesses.
Prime Minister Mark Carney said he was horrified by the shooting and offered condolences to the families of those killed. He also thanked police officers and other first responders for their actions and said investigators had his support as they worked to identify and arrest those responsible.
Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow called the violence reckless and said she was disturbed that it occurred at a festival attended by families. Ontario Premier Doug Ford also expressed condolences to the victims and others affected by the shooting.
Salsa on St. Clair is an annual celebration of Latin American culture that features live music, dancing, food vendors and family activities. The 2026 event marked the festival’s 22nd year and was scheduled to continue through Sunday in Toronto’s Hillcrest Village neighborhood.
Transit service was briefly affected as the Toronto Transit Commission stopped trains from serving nearby St. Clair West station because of the security response. Regular service later resumed.
Police said the investigation remained active and asked anyone with relevant video or information to contact investigators. The identities of the dead had not been released, and authorities had not provided detailed updates on the conditions of the four surviving victims.
Author note: Last updated July 12, 2026.