Officials identified the victim as 53-year-old Moneque Cook of Eastpointe; investigators are awaiting autopsy results.
MT. CLEMENS, Mich. — A 53-year-old woman was found unresponsive behind a downtown dumpster before dawn Tuesday and later died at a hospital, authorities said, an incident that has renewed calls for stronger cold-weather protections for people living outside.
Macomb County sheriff’s deputies were called to North Main Street around 3:48 a.m. Tuesday after a waste collection driver reported a person down behind a trash bin, according to officials. The woman was identified as Moneque Cook of Eastpointe. The Sheriff’s Office said detectives are investigating and that the Medical Examiner’s Office will determine cause and manner of death. The discovery came as overnight temperatures dropped into dangerous territory this week, heightening concern from city and county leaders as well as outreach groups that have warned about limited beds and people sleeping outdoors in downtown Mount Clemens.
Deputies and medics arrived within minutes of the initial 911 call and transported Cook to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The area where she was found sits behind businesses along North Main Street, steps from a public lot. A local business owner, Shane Gianino, said he encountered the scene behind his building. “She had no shoes on,” Gianino said, calling the death a wake-up call as another blast of cold was forecast. A county spokesperson said investigators had not yet found evidence of foul play as of Thursday but emphasized that the case remains open pending autopsy and toxicology. The Sheriff’s Office said any timeline of Cook’s last known movements remains under review.
Officials confirmed Cook was known to outreach teams who provide meals, clothing and rides to warming centers. A nonprofit leader who had interacted with her in recent weeks described Cook as soft-spoken and grateful when volunteers offered winter gear. The agency said staff notified clients about shelter options as temperatures fell and extended hours at select warming sites. Records show the county’s Medical Examiner’s Office will handle the autopsy; results can take days depending on testing. Authorities have not released an exact time of death. Detectives are reviewing area security cameras, interviewing nearby workers and examining 911 logs, according to county officials briefed on the response.
Mount Clemens has struggled with winter shelter capacity, with city officials often relying on county-run warming locations and partnerships with faith-based organizations. Prior cold snaps have led to emergency overnight accommodations and transports from downtown. In recent winters, local leaders have encouraged coordination between law enforcement, health services and nonprofits to reduce exposure deaths. The city’s compact downtown, bordered by courthouses and older commercial buildings, has limited places for people to take refuge after businesses close, according to outreach workers who patrol Main Street and adjacent alleys.
Procedurally, the Sheriff’s Office will submit its investigative file to county prosecutors once autopsy findings and witness statements are complete. If the Medical Examiner rules exposure as a contributing factor, the case would still move through standard review to determine whether any criminal elements exist. Officials said they expect preliminary autopsy findings to be available within several days, with toxicology later if ordered. The county also plans to brief commissioners on current shelter capacity and whether additional overnight space is needed during extended subfreezing periods, according to members familiar with the agenda.
By late Thursday, the alley behind the dumpster had been cleared and taped off earlier in the week was removed. Workers coming and going from nearby shops said they noticed more patrol cars downtown after the incident. “People see faces every day out here. We try to help with socks or coffee when we can,” said a barista who works mornings on North Main Street. Another employee at a neighboring storefront said he often sees outreach vans circulate during cold nights. “Nobody wants this to happen again,” he said. Officials said the Sheriff’s Office would release additional details when next of kin notifications and autopsy steps are complete.
As of Thursday evening, investigators continued to gather video and witness accounts while awaiting autopsy results. County leaders said they will outline any interim winter measures at the next scheduled public meeting early next week.
Author note: Last updated January 23, 2026.